Thursday, September 29, 2011

First...An Overdue Update

Booze...both of my updates have to do with the glorious stuff.  You know, the wonder beverage that makes your kids more manageable and your spouse better looking?  Yes, that.

Moving right along...

1.  Follow-up to Experiment #1 Booze is Best.
If you are just joining us, please take a moment to skim this post.  It will help all of this make some kind of sense (nothing on this blog ever makes a -lot- of sense, so you know).  So...we started off with this...
And ended up with...
this and this...

The unfortunate part about this recipe is the way pickled fruit looks floating in the bottle.  After two weeks those lovely, nubile little hotties I packed into the jar looked like shriveled happy hour cougars. You know...the leathery skinned grandmas in low cut shirts sipping cosmos? The ones you are reluctant to make eye contact with?  I had a strainer full of them, and though I typically try to use leftovers like this...these ladies went straight into the bin.  My husband and I took cautious sips of the strained liquor as one of my cousins watched, making comments about moonshine.  While it was not bathtub gin, it was nothing I wanted to sip over ice.


Conclusion: I consider this a success because I could certainly taste the flavor of the fruit in the vodka.  Now I just have to develop a martini recipe that makes the most of this carefully crafted alcohol.  I will keep you posted.

2.   Follow up to Let's Talk About Extract, Baby
Again, if you find yourself having no idea what I am rambling about, review this.  Everyone else, if you recall the extract started off like so...

After two weeks it looks like this...

The reason I opened it up after two weeks is because there seems to be much discussion and debate within the home extract community about whether the concoction needs to sit for two weeks or a month before first use.  At two weeks the vodka has a strong vanilla scent, and certainly a flavor, but it is not as strong as I would ultimately like.  I used about a quarter of a cup in a large batch of cinnamon nectarine jam I was making, and while it certainly enhanced the flavor, I did not get quite the vanilla punch that I was looking for.  I now have high hopes, however.  High in the sky apple pie....hopes.
See you in two weeks, little extract.  See you tomorrow everyone else...for a three for one recipe post.

No comments:

Post a Comment